Wednesday 15 June 2011

You know it's something when your heart beats faster






















As you can probably tell from the overload of pictures, I am in love with Rene Gruau's work. Ever since my aunt gave me a Birthday card with a sketch of his on the front, I have fallen head over Louboutin heels in love. I love his simplicity. By manipulating line both in expression and width he creates stunning and striking pieces. His use of colour is equally effective and works beautifully against his bold use of black.

Sadly, nowadays fashion illustration is fading. Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator have replaced this beautiful form of art. OK, digital art is fab, but sketches are just...special. Vogue rarely boats a single sketch, however in Gruau's day, magazines were filled with works like his. As were ad campaigns, a lot of which Gruau contributed to - particularly Dior. Although, I have a feeling fashion illustration will return. With modern artists like Garance Dore [ www.garancedore.fr/en ], I'm sure it will.

If it doesn't, then there are always reference books. I've decided from now on my money will be spent on these kind of books (Fashion Drawings In Vogue, Masters of Fashion Illustration, Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty, Alexander McQueen: Genius of A Generation are just a few on my wish list). I was given the Big Book of Fashion Illustration by a very thoughtful friend and would highly recommend it to anyone in need of inspiration. I borrowed two books from a friend on fashion illustration today, so I've already found new work to love. No matter how many other illustrations I find though, Rene Gruau will always be a firm favourite.

xx